Saturday, December 1, 2012

Commited.

You look cold, he said, here let me warm you. I shivered in the sudden winter as he wrapped his arms around me, his breath hot against my cheek. How easy to soften at somebody's side, to mold your body to theirs thoughtlessly, but wasn't the December night still freezing, our breaths white clouds against the black sky? I went back inside, danced until my head hurt, until beads of sweat poured down the small of my back and I forgot where I was. The couples gathered their possessions, prepared to sign checks they'll forever work to pay, an extra room in this apartment because soon there'll be babies and we make our lives in this city now, we follow the path laid out for us.

There was a picture in my inbox, 7th and Grove, why did we never come to this bar? I miss you every day. I looked around the dance floor, at the sober faces, at the unpresence of magic, and I knew it was time to go.

New York, my dearest, have we made our point yet? Have we fought our war and can we bury our hatchets, temper our pride? New York, my darling, I'm ready to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment