Thursday, November 29, 2012

In Stockholm.

The snow came, at last. It is winter. Little children stare wide-eyed and laugh, adults pull their coats closer and tighten their lips. Little whisps of icy flurries pounce at unsuspecting victims turning a corner and the subway is packed. Tomorrow, we decorate for Christmas, my boss says, and I can't believe how quickly the time passes.

Was the cold snow not just thawing? Was I not just sitting on that balcony at the end of the street and seeing the sun return to a city I barely even knew?

I biked home in the black Stockholm night the other day, saw the city glitter below me, saw the water tremble and the rooftop mosaics sleep, and then I knew: I love this town. I didn't mean to, Lord knows we got off to a rough start, but there it is. You make your home where you unpack your bags. You never fail to leave your heart. Sometimes it simply takes a little work.

2 comments:

  1. ibland tänker jag att det är därför jag hatar sthlm så mycket. för att jag vet nånstans att skulle jag låta det, så skulle det överbevisa mig. skulle jag flytta dit så skulle jag bo in mig och sthlm skulle bo in sig i mig och så skulle jag säkert aldrig ångra att jag flyttade dit. fan. berätta aldrig för nån.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your secrets are all safe with me. <3.

    ReplyDelete