Thursday, October 4, 2018

Balance

A day of desert sunshine is followed by another night of storm. Lightning explodes behind the peaks, silhouetting them the panoramic windows washed over with rain. At last there is noise, at last something cuts through the quiet; I sleep too heavy, I forget to stir. The to do lists look so strange now, they only tell me to do that for which my heart longs, they are more gifts than demands. When I stray too far from the desk, from the pile of papers and words and intricate swirls of imagination to which my entire soul is tethered, an itch in my feet pulls me back. How is it possible to live such a life, and have it be one's very own?

I know I am broken, and shattered, and a pile of debris, but for this short, sweet moment of respite, I am allowed to exist outside this body, outside this heart, for a short, sweet moment I am only these words and what I can do with them. I asked the Universe for a challenge and it gave me a storm, but it did not send me to the ocean without a life raft, and I will not drown.

The valley is dark now,
yes,
but the sun rises
also.

No comments:

Post a Comment