Friday, August 10, 2018

Journeys

The town looks the same, all my life I’ve known these streets and as much as I may want it to, nothing has changed. They live their entire lives on the same blocks where you all were children; the stagnation eats at me even as I try to find comfort in its predictability. Her parents asked about you, I hadn’t prepared a response, and you reappear in my dreams on subway trains headed for adventure. I miss you. We biked home in the late night, the last wisps of twilight still on the horizon and a thousand stars spreading out around us. I know this road with my eyes closed. The bike is fast, gratifying, I laughed today like I was 15 again and this was all there is.

The point is that it isn’t. The point is this was only a short moment of status quo, you were given a chance to see it, you were given the choice to reject it. You ran to the ends of the earth and here’s the point I’m actually trying to make: you did the right thing.

It’s a beautiful place to keep in your memories. Adventure lies where you’ve gone after.

No comments:

Post a Comment