Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Re:Spite

The bar felt like a New York speakeasy, the kind that's become so popular lately and you are welcome to hang your coat on the meat hook. You won't need your jacket she said as we went out for a smoke, but the wind had turned, and I shivered. Before I left we had made plans of wedding dress shopping, of party secrets and humble celebrations. My heart burst in the simplicity of their joy. We don't want to make a big fuss. I was reminded how much I love that they are a part of my life.

The wind picked up on the south island, but I was let into a warm apartment and hardly noticed. A rented movie, a few hours of quiet. Normal. Like this living room was a short respite from the storm outside, from the tangled mess within. I reveled in the simplicity. By the time I walked home, the storm lay thick over the city, the streets were dark.

Sleepless, I gave up my staring at the ceiling and turned the lights back on. Began reading through the pages of a manuscript long neglected. Thought, this is what I'm meant to be doing, and for a second felt a sense of calm at my side. I slept. Does it have to be so hard?

No comments:

Post a Comment