Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Like the Way It Likes to Rain

News headlines twitter heat advisories, people fear blackouts, no one dares leave the confines of the reach of the A/C. Open the door to the outside world and feel as though you've hit a brick wall of warm. Five minutes later, and no one will know how much time you spent on your hair, your dress, your polished, cool exterior. When the air is running a fever, your body begins to boil.

Ten minutes into my day, I'm sweating so much it doesn't actually matter anymore. I get on the one train car without a/c, and I cannot be bothered to move. I sit there, bobbing my head to the music, but my breath is slow, calculated. Later, as we walk along the river, trying to catch at least a slight breeze, at least a slight lowering of temperature in the night, my lips taste of salt. My chest glistens, my hair is damp.

I think of the Finns, and how wise they are. They scoff at our constant showering, (only the sauna will get you clean, they say) and I can't help but think they have a point. At the end of the night, how cleansed I feel. I imagine every dusty particle within me, evaporated. And with them, every bad thought and sad feeling. Washed away and drifting out to sea.

I sink into a harmless easy read, instead. My skin soft like a baby's, I sleep before I can even turn the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment