Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Kinetics

I see beyond the shallow defenses; I know their intentions. But how helpless I am at their hands, their impulses carry me away like a rip tide in the middle of blissful summer, and I go gladly.

I know I keep pushing the boundaries, pushing the deadlines. I used to think this would change me, and now I wait for the next step to get me in line, he says as we both stumble into a bar, hungover from tequila shots and ready to be revived with beer sobriety. I sigh; I knew full well nothing would change with legal papers, with societal approval. But as I drag my exhausted body home in the early evening, I gaze at my glass house and return my pebbles to their pocketed safety. Who am I to shake my head? If I only make it to New York, I will have arrived, and why would I run from that?

My toes tingle. I make plans to move, to toss half my possessions and find somewhere new. I consider the neighborhoods, the streets, the boroughs. At the party, she asks me why I don't just stay in Australia after my vacation, why I would leave. Her question gnaws at me through the intoxicated mists, and I have no good answer. An entire continent spreads before me, vast deserts and clean slates. Perhaps I will find the answer there.

I long to scratch the itch, but I know full well I will leave unsatisfied. Run, run as fast as you can. You can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man. Although, of course, in the end.. wasn't he eaten, after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment