Thursday, January 23, 2020

Islands

Wake early, how strange it is to know everything and nothing all at once. The streets are familiar, the color of the people and the lilt of the language. I remember the sound of the subway, the absence of rats, the scowls on strangers' faces and the uniform design of their ways. I forget the way midday sunlight feels like morning and the fall of your crest as dusk returns before even you realized it was day. I forget how dark the city at night, and quiet, moderation at every turn, how sensible the zeitgeist.

I forget how when I set foot in this land I don't know how to live a whole life without it.

In the late afternoon, I rode the bus across the water, a small island waiting in silence, anticipation. Would you like to hold him? she says but we both know I have never not wanted to hold him. We loved you before you were born, I whisper as he sleeps in the nook of my neck, and I'll love you long after I'm gone. I looked around at what they'd built from so many ashes, breathed in the sad, warm, joyous fear of a whole life and thought alright then. I was wildly happy once, you know, but I am all better now. You cannot break me when my bones are all fractured.

They simply wave in the wind
and endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment