Thursday, June 7, 2018

the Sweetness

The bad news is, your teeth are perfect, your dentist laughs as he sends you on your way. It seems a cruel joke, and you ask the Fates what gives, but they have no answers. It's June and I'm still wearing sweaters.

A young man, hat in hand, stepped up to me in the laundromat today as I was matching socks, asking about a job. Maybe I should have pretended the authority was mine to hire him. I cried later, over fitted sheets, but the fault was not his; it happens. My mother calls to ask for advice, I am all advice lately, my heart grows and grows but it bleeds me dry, what gives.

Life is not easy, but it is beautiful in all its flawed hopefulness and blissful ignorance. It is not over until it is over, and I have a few years in me yet. I cried at the laundromat but I smiled at the river, be patient and tough,

some day this pain will be useful to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment