Friday, June 22, 2018

Divide and Conquer

I found a four-leaf clover today.

I didn't even mean to stop at that particular stretch along the river, but what a long run it had been, how my muscles screamed for reprieve, I run and run and can't get myself to stop lately, it keeps my head above the water's edge. I wasn't even looking, but there it was, waiting. Not pretty, or even, like you see in pictures, a genetic mutation, a deformity, four leaves on an unassuming sprout meant only to have three, we're the ones who turned them into magic. I had been asking for a sign, and did not the Universe oblige? Blessings will not look perfect when they come, life is not perfect, luck is not always immediately clear. Buy your own goddamn tickets. I gave away a four-leaf clover once, and I do not regret it. Do you hear me? I regret none of this.

Last night, the sun set over the water in a million pink hues; it made the skyscrapers sparkle, it made the bridges hum, last night I smiled despite myself, it was the longest day of the year and now it turns to darkness but I am not afraid of the dark, I am not afraid of anything. One day you will dance with your demons,

you'll know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment