Saturday, June 30, 2018

the Dark on Its Tail

Next time you see me
well I'll be someone else

The heat wave rolls in, covers the city in sundresses and sweaty iced lattes, knocks out all sense of propriety and the sidewalk is quiet until sundown when the madness erupts. I break my sobriety over guitar chords that will never cooperate but it doesn't harm me. Nothing can harm me now.

It is summer, it is sunshine, one wintry morning I asked the Universe for a challenge, for an opportunity to fail up and it delivered, who am I to blame the Universe for giving what I demand? My shoulders are brown, my smile sneaks out when I'm not paying attention, a heat wave rolls in but somewhere soon an ocean is waiting for me, if only I keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I got stuck for a moment, forgive me, I usually don't lose my way without a life jacket, I haven't left or changed I just cleaned some things out of my closet but don't worry, I kept everything that matters, even when it drags its nails across the tender walls of my heart. I still bleed, rivers of it all the time, but my shoulders are brown and my body is strong, somewhere the ocean lies waiting and I failed in ways I never could have imagined, so that is done.

It means the only way to go now is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment