Monday, October 14, 2019

On Leaves

We can turn over new ones, they say, everything may begin again in spring and we are blank slates again, the future what we want it to be. I turned over in my bed and it was new, perhaps, but it felt well known. Or was it vice versa? That it was familiar, but felt brand new. I slept a heavy sleep and sometimes it’s hard to remember dream from reality, fact from fiction, the truth is my dreams know better than me anyway because I spend a fair amount of time squirreling away secrets from myself just in case everything inside me might break. Please don’t break, I ask my insides, but I forget they know me better than I do, they measure their weights and balances and the strength this life made me prove I had, do not think I fear the leaves changing. Do not think I fear their fiery colors washed across the hillsides, the sharp crunch of their sidewalk crumbles.

I have walked across the desert plains without a drop of water, I have raged through storms without a breath. When the leaves fall, I am still here. If you fear there is so much old there cannot be new, remember this: from fallen leaves grow little spires. We would not know spring, without all that came before.

No comments:

Post a Comment