Friday, April 6, 2018

Q train

I rode the Manhattan bridge across the water today
gray rainy mid day train car full of MTA construction workers and their multi-colored lanterns
and the sky was the color of the bricks, a century of smog around their edges
But as we climbed that bridge
and the buildings tic tac toed themselves into scattered order, 
as the familiar skyline outlined itself, 
as every water tower in Brooklyn popped itself into my field of vision like a 
bubble, 
my chest filled
and filled
and filled
with a longing and a love for these
bricks in my veins I have not had the peace of mind lately to
consider

The weather didn’t seem so dreary then,
the winter not so unending
To have a home after years of flailing
To know love after so long in the dark
Seemed a most beautiful gift

I will unwrap for as long as I possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment