Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Witchcraft

The dog sidles up along my leg, deposits half her coat as she goes, lays her head on my thigh and snorts in that way she does when she is content. We are pretty sure she's a cat on the inside. At a moment's silence, you unravel, and you're not sure how quickly you must scramble to pick up the pieces. I ran along the river, late in the afternoon but still sunny because Lord if that spring isn't coming at last, and ghosts of an entire childhood chased me under the bridges. I summon my courage, try to remember the years of adulthood under my belt, but their sharp teeth still glisten, their bites still sting and hold on until they hear the bone crunch.

You know there are doors you simply closed, you know there are dark spaces you simply decide to ignore because you could no longer tear at your skin like you did and all the evils still lurk inside. There are so many days when you think you are strong now. But that closet door creaks and instantly I'm 17 years old again and drowning without knowing why.

The difference now is when my bones are broken, there are streets under the feet that will heal them right up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment