Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Turned Upside

The mountains erase time, you lose track of days. The nights are silent, dark, cool, you sleep like you've never slept before and wake to birdsong; sunlight melts the snow into desert sands, seasons evade you. I ran along the side of a mountain today, no, I flew, the altitude couldn't catch me, my mortality couldn't catch me, I smiled the entire way and thought what a miracle the world is to exist. We spend the days reading instruction manuals (differently) and building a new home: outside the back porch, the cows all have tiny black calves to show the world, the deer are oblivious.

Twenty-five years of these mountain ridges in our lungs and they've never been easier to love. I'm not even sorry, anymore. I saw three shooting stars from the deck tonight and every wish made my heart tickle in my chest, I just thought you should know, you were in them all, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment