Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Where I'd Happily Drown

The way the sun rises over water tanks, brick buildings, graffitied walls.
The way traffic flows on the sidewalk and you never get stuck.
The way the population on the subway excludes no one, there is every color, there is every style.
The way dreams are made, and used, and broken but never run out.
The way walking a million street corners still leaves a million more to discover.
The way subway tremors and delivery clatter are weaved into even silence.
The way buildings expand while neighborhoods shrink.
The way everything changes, and everything feels the same.

The way I stood on the subway platform, and felt like I belonged, like I knew who I was and was her unshakeably.

I talk a big talk about feeling like myself in New York, but it turns out it's true. I don't make excuses for myself here.
This is my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment