Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Stranger on a Train

Once, many years ago, I went to visit a dear friend in his idyllic summer town on the beach. It was January, and the quiet cobblestoned streets were emptier, blacker than I'd ever seen. After the parties were over, after the fun had been had, we retired to the quaint house where he and his roommates were staying. We made tea and he sat with his guitar, played Lasse.

Later, he said "Now it's your turn to hold me," and I did. I wrapped my arms around him, stroked his ivory-colored hair, kissed his back. I let him fall asleep first in this tiny cot in such a large room.

He told me he had once seen such a beautiful girl on a train, that he had drawn her portrait, scribbled some lyrics and his number on the back, and consequently dropped it in her lap as he stepped off. The subsequent love affair lasted a few months.

I think of that often.

How many opportunities do we not miss, pass up, when we paint our love's face at the street light and let them cross Park Avenue without knowing that the future was so close, so near their reach?

3 comments:

  1. Once, many years ago, when I was newly in love with that Italian who ended up breaking my heart and dreams for years to follow, I was sitting on a train to see him. I was thinking about life, and the future I was expecting. A guy sat opposite me. When he left the train he gave me a note. I thought it would be a number, but instead he had written in German "It is beautiful to watch you dream. Don't ever stop dreaming like you did today". Even years later I remember his note and wish that I could tell him it is a message that is still guiding me through life. Maybe we should give more love letters to people who cross our paths...

    ReplyDelete
  2. så sjukt fint cajsa. (också mycket fin kommentar, syster!)

    filmtips: turn left, turn right.
    om människor man passerar men aldrig möter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sissy, that is a beautiful story! thank you for sharing! Imma hold on to it ;) We should totally give more love letters to people who cross our paths.

    My friend Jen and I did this in high school; every month we picked a number of people we knew or not, and sent them notes about their good qualities, or left them treats and appreciation. All anonymously. I loved doing that and wish I was better it still.

    M-thank you. it's on my list :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete