Tuesday, November 3, 2009

From East to West

It's all in your mind.

Such short moments of sweet bliss, flying. Where no one can get you, no demands can pressure you, you are free. But then, flying low over glittering Manhattan, the rush houred one way streets strung across it like white and red christmas lights, and landing in a place you know as home, that isn't so bad either.

My weekend away afforded me wide open spaces and a place to breathe deeply, but in such silence, the mind is allowed to run wild, and I left more confused than I arrived.

I came to live a dream. That was all, and that was simple. But it turns out, when you are free to do whatever you want, you actually need to know what that is. With no restrains, I bounce around the Hall of my emotions, and I am only grateful that the walls at least seem to be padded slightly. If only there were a rope, a partition, a guiding hand, perhaps I would not exhaust myself from all this running, perhaps I would instead arrive somewhere.

But just as likely, if someone did try to hold me down, get me a grip, I would merely break free and run off again. So the next realization comes: this may be Life, forever. I got on this roller coaster long ago, and I will ride it through to the end.

Weary, I stumble up the steps to my apartment. Right now, happy to be home. But in the back of my head, nervous tremblings say don't look beyond that moment, don't stir. You don't know what you may awaken, in the dust bowl.

1 comment:

  1. I know your feeling. Had a meeting yesterday with a man who is moving to the states with his family, three children, 13,15 and 18. He was worried what the move would do to their future. I said not to worry, it is great, they will be a bit rootless but so much better for it. Today, thinking about my life, and reading about yours, I'm not so sure. Would I trade for a life where I would have been happy in a small town with a highschool sweetheart and a simple, predictable job? No. Would I be happier in that life? Quite possibly. It's like the red and blue pills - once you have seen more it's hard to go back. But what I wouldn't give for a few ropes partitioning off the choices...
    Miss you. xx

    ReplyDelete