Friday, August 26, 2022

Vändplats

I turn on an out of office message. Keep it neutral, don’t tell them all the wonders that swirl in your midst, there are too many to divulge, you wouldn’t know where to start. A whole life lies behind you, but a whole life lies ahead, you doubt it sometimes but it continues to be true. A hope appears on the horizon, like a gift. When I was eighteen years old, I dreamed of going to New York City, like an impossible dream but relentless. I do not set my mind to many things, but when I do, I hold on to it like a predator biting down until the bones crunch. New York held on until my bones crunched, and now I am soft to its hold. Life held on, too, and sometimes I don’t understand how I’ve been so lucky. 

The little station wagon is parked right outside the green door with the 1/2 address. I pack it up, head off to another wonder. Count my blessings, count my chickens, count the items left on my to do list and decide to just do them. 

I made it here. I can make it anywhere now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment