Thursday, April 22, 2021

But Yes

I always run in May. It sweeps in with that cherry-blossomed scent, with winds from the sea and lungs full like a horizon, I am powerless against its honey, against its promises of freedom and this year, at last, I can seize it. I run the four floors up to the apartment made of windows, stare longingly at boxes and dream of unpacking them, dream of building them into a whole new life. In May you get to be whoever you want, what'll it be? Do you remember there was a time I wouldn't park the car without you by my side, do you remember there was a time I would not leave my apartment, do you remember there was a time I thought I woulnd't ever make it back to this town at all? 

No, we do not remember that now. We are clean slates now, bright eyes and hope sprouting in our chests, we are four flights of stairs that feel like flying because when you're running into the arms of someone you love you do not feel your muscles burn. There's a lightness in my chest it's been ages since I felt. Like I ached for flight and the runway rolled out in front of me, like for once my desire and the world aligned. 

Little darling
It's been a long cold lonely winter. 

But it's over now.
In May we don't even remember
the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment