Tuesday, March 16, 2021

(Home)

If it all looks good,
I'll send over the official version so you can sign
later today.

I put my digital digits on pages upon pages, head swimming and everything surreal. Fifteen years in this city and suddenly a home appears? Fifteen years in this city and I was home the minute I first landed at JFK, don't you come at me with regulation. 

A new tenant moves in across the street, buildings filling up again like spring floods returning life to Manhattan. Did you land safely? Did you take that first deep breath on a New York street and remember just how the city realigns your bones, how it sits in your chest, silent while you are elsewhere, but profound and unmovable all the while? Did you smile, despite yourself, because not even you can be cool against the sweet smile of the city?

The road is long
and winding. 

That doesn't mean it doesn't lead
where we're going.

No comments:

Post a Comment