Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Chill

Rise early again, the mornings are light now but the head groggy, uncertain of its night time convictions. Why was I doing this again? Sit in front of a blank page as dawn evaporates into Arctic winds. A bullet point list outlines a story, but falls flat. You think, I do not make the rules. The story tells itself to me, that is how it always has been. I do not make the rules. 

An entire new person grows in front of me, a person who was not there before but who now suddenly has a whole life behind her. Sets construct themselves and lines of dialogue are rehearsed, the road unravels before our poor hapless players, there's no turning back now. 

Sunlight arrives, a new work day arrives, deadlines wave in the margins, I close the word processor and direct my attentions elsewhere. But it has been started now. That place lives now, when it did not before. I feel the itch grow in my spine, the constant pull to come back, come back and stay. Little embers of hope. 

I count the pennies under my mattress, tally up the beads on the abacus: buy myself a few more moments on the page. Watch the ink curlicue around the margins, feel the soft beating of magic. We survived February. 

Now we get to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment