Friday, September 18, 2020

News

We leave a canyon on fire, waves of orange and red leaves washing the mountainside in color. It is breathtaking. I try to fathom the journey I have just started, but there is no wrapping my head around it. A car rolls under my hand, and it feels like mine already. We practice parallel parking in small spaces at the top of a mountain rest stop, the entire wild west spread out around us. The Rocky Mountains spike and dive around us, we soar into Denver at sunset and I wonder if this is how Jack felt, chasing Neal a mile into the sky, before the feeling trickles away in the beer glass in front of me. America lies ahead of us, already we have covered hundreds of its miles and we have many, many more to go. Take a moment, remember to soak it in. Storms and destruction lie in our future: give yourself a moment under the stars, give yourself a deep breath in the American West, remind yourself what you are doing and why. 

Our short existence is insignificant in the grand scheme of the Universe. Just make it significant for yourself, and you've already won.

No comments:

Post a Comment