Monday, September 14, 2020

Black Cab

 We rolled down to the reservoir, frigid mountain run off and the last days of summer frantically grasping at grains of sand, out all day and I didn’t burn. I will never forgive this year for taking summer from me, I have time to think, but didn’t I see the Hudson River at sunset, didn’t I eat birthday cake in the Rockaways and pick berries in patches and drink frozen drinks till my head hurt? I am pale, yes, and tired and wrung out like a wet rag but summer was here and I saw it. This year has taken everything from us and yet we are not poor, we are not empty. A fire rages in our collective bellies, a new determination and a different point of view. I have vowed to come out of this year with one thing so good it makes the horrors pale in comparison. We have three and a half months, 2020. 

We better get to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment