Thursday, March 5, 2020

Rhyme

(There was a moment
tonight
sitting in their kitchen window and watching midtown Manhattan sparkle like an impossible treasure in the deep sea,
seeing the Empire State Building reach and rise into the darkness,
that reminded me how New York arrived to me like a dream,
how I made it here over, and over again only by the conviction of my love,
by the fire in my chest lit long before I knew a single one of these streets under my feet,
And how now, all these years later, even just a glimpse of its jewels from a seventh floor window will throw me right back to the very first time I fell in love with it, will pull me through the 4,935 times I have fallen in love in love since,
how when all is said
and done,
Love is not measured, does not ascribe to your rhymes and reason, only ever follows
its own magic
And all we can do is follow it,
All we can do is sit in a window and let love take our breath away
4,936 times more.)

No comments:

Post a Comment