Friday, July 19, 2019

Sandman

Your flight is delayed, the text read. If you’d like to rebook it, now is the time to do it. Visions of home by morning fluttered around my eyelids, but I saw the reasons tally themselves, and pushed the button. What’s done is done, don’t look back.

I turned off the lights and climbed out on the back patio. After a week in the country of strobe light full moon, at last the sky was black, the millions of stars out of hiding, twisting and sparkling in silence. I sat there a long while, speaking with the universe, until a star fell across the horizon and silenced my chatter. There aren’t stars enough in the sky for all the wishes I have, I whispered, but my heart was full and my skin tingled. Make life overwhelming, wondrous, wonderful, I added, smiling, and a new story wrote itself in my periphery.

We create our destiny, we put each foot in front of the other to get where we’re going.

But you do not see shooting stars,
if you do not keep your eyes out for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment