Monday, July 22, 2019

Paint It, Black

Suburban hours spent navigating narrow streets in an updated minivan; I look around and consider if this isn’t where more severe addictions take hold. We approach the beach, but the rich have claimed the sea for themselves and I long for open roads out west, for busy streets back on the grid. When the rains come, they wash the heat wave into a quiet summer evening. The lights flicker. My wisdom tooth hurts, but it isn’t a metaphor. We spent an hour today looking for four-leaf clovers and found none. It’s just as well, I told him they made all your dreams come true: when you and I both know wishes are only ever granted out of turn and at strange angles, how to explain that to someone who still believes in fairy tales.

There’s a punchline in there in the fairy tales I still buy, that I go looking for clovers in every patch of grass. But I’ve taken off my armor now, I’m all soft flesh and shivering skin, just the jab would knock me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment