Friday, October 20, 2017

A Rise

Crawl through the ashes at dusk, as the fire still smolders in embers under the hot coals, every step burns but you know you have to take it, know you have no choice but to make it through. A wise voice comes muddled through the ether; you try to see the words for the trees, will yourself to do better than usual. Begin to run and do not stop, pound the miles underneath your feet until they do not burn, do not drag you down and then return, this run does not flee. Watch the sun set in passionate hues behind the bridges, silhouetting Liberty and turning skyscrapers of downtown into a quiet wonderland. The view set everything straight, aligned the blood in my veins with the cool bones of my determination. I wrote more pages into the night, caressed them like children I had forgotten to appreciate. Sleep, when it came, was heavy, but not dead. 

Do not fail your dreams when they need you most, the note said. I pin it to my wall. Vow it was only a stumble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment