Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Take One

Slushy Stockholm streets, everything takes twice as long to reach and still you nearly fall on your way. The bar lies quiet, unusually quiet, but it matters little when it's your living room they're dancing in. Everything falls into its routine again. Your glasses are broken and you walk slowly through the apartment, blind.

We spoke so much of old times, and how different the days can appear in the light of someone else's eyes. They were the most miserable years of my existence, she says and you thought so long they were the peak of yours. You mourned their passing when life carried on and left you by the wayside. I always admired you and had no idea, such is youth. It seems too long ago now to right the wrongs but perhaps their appearance was always skewed to begin with. I'm sorry.

Time runs out, runs away from us, I have all the time in the world but I hesitate to wind the clock. February makes me want to lock the door, spring will make me want to run, I never know what to make of this life, nor you in it.

You are welcome, he says.
Your memories are not.


2 comments:

  1. but i forgot the second half of the sentence: while there are some things i would change (obviously), as a whole, i would never trade them. the wonderful and the terrible are always so entwined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose that is the lesson of our lives: we do not get one without the other. And regardless, I am grateful and glad you have been a part of mine.

    ReplyDelete