Thursday, February 17, 2011

On Domesticity

It occurred to me recently
that I am very close
to being but a year and a half from 30.
And though I realize that 30
is the new 20
it still scared the shit out of me.

Somewhere along the line
I promised myself
I'd have my life in order by then.
You know,
grown up,
gotten a job,
gotten back on the right track.

Tonight I contemplated the baby
growing in my dear friend's belly
and the ridiculous commercials
of homemaker women
whose lives seem composed
of lunch boxes
and air fresheners
and minivans

and I know I imagine that life
to be
so much simpler than it possibly could,
but God
some nights
it's awful tempting,
nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, we are really THAT close to being 30, aren't we? Now you've scared the shit out of me too. But while part of me longs for the steady job that's a "real career" and the predictable home life that would surely be very comfortable, the other part of me is glad it's not all decided yet. :-) Just saying.

    Oh, and for the record, no minivans for me. Although I suppose if Poo Brown was still running I might be persuaded to change my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I think about the little lunatics growing in your belly frequently as well, btw.
    2. I <3 Poo Brown for life. True story.
    3. this is my new mantra: 30isthenewblack 30isthenewblack. it worked great until my sister said "I know, I was freaking out before my 30th too. And then when it actually came, it was so much worse than I'd anticipated." wtf?! ;)

    ReplyDelete