Saturday, February 26, 2011

And In the End

Orphan puppy sleeps. I put my hand on her body to make sure she is still breathing. Wrap us both in my blankets and try my hardest to fill her tiny body with my warmth and my love. Make the best of this last time that she has.

I am already exhausted from the day's emotional exertion. My heart is lead, my eyes brimming with tears at every turn. We sit at the kitchen table discussing our ideas of death, of love and loss, of the life after. We don't agree on any of the topics, but today it doesn't matter. We are making the best of this last time that we have.

Everytime she stirs, I am grateful. Everytime she looks up, walks across the floor, sees that she is home. It's another hour we get to spend with her.

Life is precious. The reminder is painful, but it springs little blossoms of joy in my heart. Precious. We should all be so grateful.

1 comment: