Friday, February 25, 2011

Epitome

Fates conspire against us. Great yellow machines dig up Leroy Street and cut all our cables; we live the week without connections and I can't decide if I miss it.

Orphan puppy spends another night at the hospital. There is an empty space where her three pounds used to lie, and we don't know if she'll ever curl up there again. I miss the patter of her feet on the hardwood floor, the softness of her inquisitive affection against the groove of my neck. The thought that she is spending her last days among strangers breaks our hearts and we long to take her home, if only for a few last moments of peace.

Life is precious. We must remember to be grateful for what we have, and make the most of what we can get out of it. The weather clears. March beckons on the horizon.

How heavy my heart, tonight.

2 comments:

  1. so sorry to read this. thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you dear. we get to bring her home today for a few days, so I'm looking forward to making the most of the time that is left. I appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete