Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Winter Wasteland

When I woke up this morning, bright sunlight streamed in through my windows. The kind of sunlight that doesn't reach Sweden until late Spring. The risers release more heat than could be needed in a blizzard, so I sleep with my window open, and cool air slowly travels up my legs as I stretch and yawn to what looks like a beautiful day.

But the sunshine is deceptive. My body still reels with the misery of late winter in the blood, streaming slowly through my system and turning my soul apathetic. I spend my days working and watching television, going to bed early because what else could I be doing that matters? Sitcoms providing relief from thought, relief from Life, and when I realize that, it makes me nothing but sad.

In the back of my mind, a calm voice reminds me that this is January, this is what it does. Acceptance floats around like a word that wants desperately to be snapped up, sometimes crossing paths with Patience. But the rest of me pays little attention. Reality unbearable, I want nothing but to flee. I stare blindly at the Hudson, and dream of a 19th century fixer-upper in the country, of unpaying farm jobs in Australia, of driving across America until I was done and settling there. I imagine I could be happy there. But more likely is that Reality would catch up there, too.

And then what do I do? Can I keep on running, forever? I'm so tired, already.

5 comments:

  1. It's not where and what, it's with whom! Stop running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnus, I've been tempted to think the same thing. But I am not convinced. Reality catches up with love, too, and the fall is only that much harder. Perhaps I will eat my words some day. But I am not about to sit down and wait patiently for my knight in shining armor, because I'm not sure it's his job to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's only sort of what I meant. Sure, love might be a part of it but I meant the people you fill your life with in general...you know, the friends, the colleagues, the neighbours, the strange people on your street and yes, your lover(s) too. It's not that it lets you escape reality, it just makes reality that much more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. Forgive my misinterpretation.

    I seem to have left most of my people, too. But I am not sure I want to make reality bearable.

    Den som lever får se. as it were.

    ReplyDelete