Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year.

These streets will make you feel brand new,
Big lights will inspire you.


And here we are in another year, how little has changed since the last one.

Winter is still so cold. Walking home, only a few cars passed, and a tram that I decided not to jump, because how delicious it is, for one short while, to own the city you walk through. Full moon new years eve wore off, and as I walked under the street light, I could see it was snowing. In the short moments in between, walking in darkness, I would have never guessed, but every new light revealed the slow, light fall of quiet little snowflakes. By the time I reached the last hill, there was no denying it: cold white dust was covering the earth, and no one was awake to file complaints.

With frozen limbs and fuzzy eyes, I make my way home. 2010. It is with Life as it is with love. It ends with snowfall and glittery sticky hair. Emotion too much to handle and isn't it better then, to sleep soundly in your own bed (even though it was never yours, to begin with). As I walk home, the Song of the Year in my head, I realize this is what New York is: my escape from emotion. After such a long year of feeling too much, finally I am allowed to revel in the joy, of feeling not much at all. I love the City, and that is all.

Taking out my contacts and sinking into the New Year, I think of my West Village streets and long for them. For the simplicity. Here's hoping, this year will be just what I dreamed. In Gothenburg, the snow keeps falling, regardless. Perhaps I am not here, at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment