Monday, December 21, 2009

Arrival. ?.

I walk down snowy streets in a city that is not mine, but it never was and cannot be blamed. Still, this is where I am from. I sat on the subway and looked out over these people, surprised to hear my language spoken, my jet lagged mind finding it hard to keep up with new circumstances. I looked at them, knowing that we had something in common but trying still to find out what it was, like an adopted child staring at her biological parents for the first time. Trying to see what bits of these people were in me as well, what blood flowed through their veins that may have produced me. I found myself at a loss.

How odd to suddenly be here. Not convinced that all of me is. I trudge in thin sneakers through grayed snow and rub my hands in the freezing air. Maybe, tomorrow, there'll be sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment