Saturday, May 14, 2022

Canyon

Standing at the majesty of nature is the closest I get to religion, he says, after hours on the freeway discussing how they left God behind. The mountainside around us dives into a deep canyon at our feet, rivers of red rock making waves out of eons, mountain ranges in the distance stretch all the way to the sea. I lose my breath to the altitude, or perhaps to the insignificance of my small body in the vastness of everything. I am comforted by my negligible existence. At the edge of the rim, my insides tingle: fear and fearlessness spiral through my body. 

The entirety of life's questions in one duality.  

We return to basecamp, flushed with the things we'd seen, and return to our words. How many years have we spent together, silently weaving our stories together, loudly carrying each other forward. It's been a long, cold, lonely winter. 

 Something tells me I'm ready to thaw. 

No comments:

Post a Comment