Friday, July 2, 2021

Mira

Summer evenings in the desert carry a certain scent, you can feel it on your cheeks, they're all middle school sleepovers and cicada soundtracks to watching the stars fall from a friend's deck, all milkshakes at the diner and do you remember how time was going to last forever? I broke my heart against summer evenings, time and time again I let the soft voices of young men grow the song in my chest until I believed the futures they'd become, and oh, how the rift bled in my chest when they walked away. 

I sat on the back steps looking for stars through the cloud cover, the summer evening quiet, do you remember how time was going to last forever and now all we have left is poetry, I cling to it like fear clings to the back of your breath. In New York, the roiling heat wave disappears in a monsoon. I pack my bags in anticipation. 

Wonder how long it takes for a heart to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment