Monday, July 13, 2020

of Glory

The diner where we broke up closes. I wish the world wasn't falling apart, but sometimes there is a poetic justice to the fire. I run mindless miles along the river, exchange platitudes with strangers. My song is silenced again but I have been reminded of the itch. Taxes are due. They buy new sheets because, as she says, it needed that female touch. You recoil. All I needed was a hug.

They say love is an addiction, it lights up all the parts of your brain that the drugs do, gives you the same irrational shakes when it goes. This year twists and turns us into tatters. All I needed was a gift from the Universe. But what is a sweet sunset if not a gift, what is a day in ocean waves, a letter in the mail, how dare you ignore your blessings. Be specific with your wishes.

Life is trying to tell you it is short, and impossible, and wondrous.

What magic did you give yourself
today?

No comments:

Post a Comment