Wednesday, May 27, 2020

is Through

"Help," she said, to no one in particular. "I seem to have fallen down a rabbit hole, most unconveniently, and I had probably better do something about it."
The rabbit hole was very deep, and very large, and though she should have been falling rather quickly, instead she had the peculiar feeling that she was, in fact, floating down it at a pace that, under different circumstances, might more accurately be described as "pleasant".
She wondered at that.
How some things could be utterly terrifying, but if the circumstances were altered somehow, they might be just the right spot of adventure. How people sweltered under too much sunshine, or turned to dust from too much rest. The rich do not fall down inconvenient rabbit holes, but don't they miss out on learning something new?
She did not wonder much at rich people.
A set of velvet sectionals drifted past her and out of view. A squealing tea kettle, a number of baby sharks, an attractive man she might have loved in a different life. An alarm clock raced past, seven o'clock and and she heard clapping in the distance.
"Help," she repeated, "I have forgotten who I am, and I don't think I'll be able to land without figuring it out."
But the Universe lay quiet around her, the stars extinguished. A voice inside her head whispered that maybe this wasn't the question she was meant to be answering to begin with. 
"Help," she said, quietly now. "I think I'd welcome rock bottom, if only it would come."

No comments:

Post a Comment