Friday, November 22, 2019

Surge

Getting over love is like breaking an addiction, the scientist says in your headphones. See how this part of your brain lights up?

I consider a future in opioids.

The dog saunters in and shimmies herself down on the cushion behind me, fast asleep on her perch and I wonder what it would like to come home at the end of the day and just rest. The video feed from across the ocean shows six and a half pounds with a full head of hair, it's so strange but somehow it's like he always was here, a small girl stands at the end of my cursor and everything that follows is a miracle: I love her still. The days are long when you rise before dawn and return to bed in the middle of the night, but such is the nature of this addiction. We do what it takes.

I break out the bourbon for the season. Take a long, light run in the hesitant winter twilight. Pack my bag and get back to work. I'm turning this brain into a god damned Christmas tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment