Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Ash

Oh, but the season is malicious, how you freeze to the bone, how your breath turns to ice crystals in your chest, you see the sun but cannot feel it on your skin, what else can I offer as sacrifice? We took the train out of the city to find the flowers but they had all been drowned in the snow: like the death of a child theirs was particularly cruel, how fragile these tender stalks. I look at the forecast again, again, I cry my prayers at its feet, she says it isn't so bad, she says look how bright the sky. I know the finish line draws near, every step now feels impossibly long but it is closer every day, all we have to do is survive. I have lined these walls with poetry, now, they do their best to keep out the cold but don't you see I set them all on fire? Don't you see I grovel now in the ashes of all I broke to endure?

I will stand back up. I will stand back up. It's only I'm so tired. It's only, this snow feels warm if you let it hold you. It's only the earth isn't so hard when it rocks you to sleep. It's only, this rip tide isn't so strong, if you just give in and let it
wash
you
out
to
sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment