Saturday, May 12, 2018

Slipping now

Port Authority, seven am on a Saturday when the bums still own it and its grimy sadness is not yet ruffled by the happy glitz of a disneyfied 42nd street; I know this hall too well by now, we walked it too many times to forget and here is where we pretended to have a fight because we thought we mattered to each other. I’m going to my sister’s, don’t call me, except this sister is a bottomless well in a college town, see if I care.

Cross over into Jersey, remember what it was like to see the skyline through another’s eyes; the suburbs are suddenly lush, wet, encroaching. The city is trying so hard to comfort me lately, it glitters and smiles, remains steadfast and reassuring, but I am not ready for its embrace I cried before we’d even left the Bronx. There is no shame, these are only feelings; you turned out to be human but you can take it back.

The rain picks up as you near the northeast. You no longer sleep. There’s a tequila shot with your name on it but a tiny light at the back of your heart with somebody else’s. You hold it carefully as you barrel into oblivion. Wonder what things will look like on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment