Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Blossom

Why don't you go outside for a bit, he says, I'll keep an eye out and call you when you need to come back. Sunshine washed all sense of decency out of me, and I rushed into the street. And oh, how the world can change in the blink of an eye. The flower bulbs, so long struggling, have suddenly burst out on the Brooklyn lawns, little trees are suddenly powdered with bright green dust. 
I walked down to the boardwalk and let the sun warm my neck. And there it lay, sweet little Manhattan, dotted with its irregular buildings and anchored by those reliable bridges. My heart, so long frozen and buried in debris, made little leaps inside my chest, like it just discovered a love it already knew so well. 

The sunshine has returned, my dear. To our faces, but also to our souls. 

It appears we survived. 
Now let us live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment