Wednesday, January 30, 2013

By Me

There were no buses left, no subways still running. Only the quickly receding wolf moon to keep company on the walk home, it wasn't far. We ate too much, drank too much, we kept telling each other it was Friday and everyone believed it because we wanted it so much. There is unrealized potential in me, I can feel it, he said, and we stared out the window to see what ours might be. When do you go? they asked, and I didn't have the answer they deserved.

Your aching heart burns in my chest, I cannot help it. I will leave a key outside the door, it is yours. There was a picture of New York in snow, today, she sent an ode in the mail, the bricks and street corners haunted me all day, I could not escape them. Distant memories of a love I once knew begin to move in their chasms six feet under my skin, he plays that tune like he was made of it, we sing, I never want to be anywhere else.

The alarm clock looms around the corner.

How hard it is to know, what is life, and what is merely the stepping stones to get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment