Friday, July 13, 2012

Sparrows Nests

A man stood near the top of the stone steps leading up to my street. He had only three or four left; I sat in my third-floor window and watched him wait, rest. His tired body leaned on double crutches as he struggled with motivation to carry on. A young man came up behind him, raced up the steps two at a time, passed him without giving him a second notice. He carried a carton of milk, and a large brown package he must have picked up at the post office. The older man gathered his strength, mastered the last few steps. I wondered if he would have accepted help, if offered.

Dark gray clouds rolled in. The light rain turned to hail in a second; I saw my neighbors rush out onto their balconies, bring in cushions. Some stood, just like me, gazing at the force, breathing in the newborn air. I counted seconds between lightning and thunder and didn't get far; it rumbled right over our heads and out across the city. Södermalm, the epicenter of angry weather gods. When I looked south, past the church, it was nothing but blue skies and sunshine, quietly biding its time, quietly promising miracles.

I saw a ragged man last night, a thin hobo with a gray beard, walking his equally ragged hound along the streets to destinations unknown. He rolled a cigarette as he walked, his tired eyes awash with sadness, and with peace. How I wanted to stop him, to walk alongside him for just a little while, ask him where he was going and why he chose such a destitute life when we have every chance to make it. How I wanted him to reveal the secret of a life at peace, of the meaning of it all, the sage bum, how I felt the spirit of Allen swim above our heads and smiling. The rest of it is only stuff, after all. We must remember to be in awe, of the Everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment