Friday, December 30, 2011

the Ride

Push and Pull, up and down, it's an incessant roller coaster this life. Do you realize that a year ago today I was in Oz? Every New York day was a snow storm and I thought I'd never get out. Another year ends, a new one beckons, I am as clueless this time as everytime I stand on that threshold: this is the life I chose.

My landlord calls; 6 days before homelessness and he says maybe we can work something out; do you want to stay? A job application lies in wait. Three weeks of America and then I don't know anything, it doesn't faze me. You didn't want to go home tonight; there is no home; it breaks my heart to see you. Another year dawns. This time it will be different. A dear friend cries into the West Coast sun; I wanted to surprise you all by showing up. All the world is a stage; it is easily crossed.

This is the life we chose; don't you see? You with your poverty, your two houses, your three weeks of vacation, your creative genius. We made this bed. Let us lie in it till the sheets are crumpled and the numbers forget to matter.

The new year arrives. We are already here.

No comments:

Post a Comment