Saturday, October 8, 2011

My Sweet Carolina

Oh, the American Night. Oh warm, humid air and do you remember how we would camp out on lawn chairs until the sprinklers began in the morning? Our neighbors had one of those giant trampolines but I was too scared to do any tricks. Years later, I turned 25 in the Mobile night and all the road lay ahead of us. Crickets in Texas, sunsets over that wide river in Mississippi, rooftops in L.A. looking out over the end of the road, the end of the Earth. I still remember the feeling of stepping out of Penn Station, how quickly amazement gave way to the comforting feeling of Home.

America falls apart before our eyes. My poor, unemployed, uninsured self whithers at its ungracious foundations, politicians falter while the People rise, voices loud but words scorned by media, gagged.

Eighteen years ago we went West in search of the American Dream. Its blood still courses through my veins, I cannot let it go. I will not. America, I miss you, tonight. I fear you will never be the same.

I haven't been, since I found you.

No comments:

Post a Comment