Monday, August 30, 2010

Need Not Worry

(anymore)

I'm out of coffee, he said, and within the hour we were sitting in my kitchen with a fresh pot, recapping the long weeks that passed. He told me of the loft that waited for them on the other side of the bridge, of high ceilings and uncovered windows, and we dreamed of fall on the roof, overlooking Manhattan.

By the time he left, my ceilings felt higher, too. The New York streets sizzled with opportunity, the blue skies opening my eyes as though their lids had been heavied for too long. The homeland felt a world away, my thoughts of returning and settling down.

It may just be a revived honeymoon. But at this point, I take what I can get. September lies in wait, with cooler nights and a fresh start. I will live it, if only I can pay its rent.

No comments:

Post a Comment