Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mannahatta

And as we crossed the Williamsburg Bridge, my soon-to-be former roommate said, look out, take in this moment. This was the view you had. This is the place you are going. This is the moment when you moved to the island. How right he was.

As I took it in, the City looked brand new to me, unused, unseen, a whole new Adventure in the making. I've been here before, but now it is mine. Now I live here, and every breath the City takes, I am in. When my soul sleeps, it does so on a crooked, narrow, gingko-tree-lined street in the Village. When my soul sleeps, it does so with a smile in its heart.

Humm,Macdougal, I lived here,
Humm, perfect, there's empty space
Park by the bright lit bookstore
Where I'll find my mail
& Harmonium, new from Calcutta
Waiting I come back to New York & begin to Sing

(Ginsberg, A., Bayonne Entering New York)

No comments:

Post a Comment