Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Kayenta

I race down the canyon, anxious to reach the hotel before sundown, anxious to reach the work that lies waiting. At the traffic circle, the steady female voice says to take the second exit and carry on to civilization. The late evening sunlight washes the red rock monoliths in fire, it feels unfinished. 

I take the third exit. 

At the top of the slope, the road ends at a vista. Enormous bluffs tower over the endless desert, they glow as dusk settles along the bottom of the dry ocean. Rainbow twilight sifts along the horizon, I run to the edge to catch the last rays, run to catch the peace that evades me. At the edge, a most precious gift is placed right in my hands: awe. 

By the time I reach the hotel, long after sundown, I am happy. The uneasy shaking that followed me all day disintegrates. I work, catch up to myself, catch my breath. Another day careening through the desert lies ahead. 

I will follow the GPS only until my heart says 
otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment